Fall is a very busy season for my family. It has been that way for years now, and I expect that it will stay that way for years to come. Besides the usual back to school, holidays, seasonal changes for weather, and other “normal” things people do, we have a host of activities that we participate in every fall. This year is no different, even if we have a few more things going on than usual. Here’s our Fall Traditions and Activities list for this year.
Things we do every year, because we like doing them, or because the change of season requires it.
- Going through the closets, taking out clothes that are too small for sale or donation, and replacing them with cooler fall weather clothing.
- Re-evaluating our homeschooling routine and doing what works.
- Spending more time outside playing games, because it’s finally cool enough to do so.
- Camping with scouts and as a family.
- “Window” shopping on the internet as we gather ideas for gifts.
- Gathering materials to craft a few gifts, and dreaming bigger than we ever end up doing.
- Baking – this one is hubby’s area as a professional baker, but we all reap the benefits! (And the calories!)
- Reading more individually and in our homeschool, as it gets too cool to spend time outside.
- Watching movies as a family, as it gets too cool to spend time outside.
Things we’re doing in this season of life, and which fill our time this fall.
- Finishing up school and getting certified – myself as a massage therapist and hubby as an EMT.
- Researching a new faith-based scouting alternative to the BSA.
- Hubby is working more out of the house these days as he is in-between school semesters, and is looking soon for an EMT position.
- Filling out scholarship and financial aid info, as hubby will be attending paramedic school starting in January.
- Writing eBooks including fall holiday traditions and devotions to help bring in some money at home.
- I’m working outside of the house for the first time, by appointment only, as a massage therapist!
- Looking for craft fairs and vendor shows where I can take a massage chair to make some extra money this Christmas.
- I’m working from home for Sears/KMart as a Personal Shopper – a free service because Sears pays me!
- Selling various items including essential oils by Young Living, and having a Tupperware party.
- Cleaning the house to a new standard, because it’s a seasonal lesson from the Lord this fall.
- Writing on this blog every single day, to create a writing habit that will establish in me a faithfulness to this website.
There are deeper fall traditions we do near the holidays. There are things we’ve done in the fall in the past that we don’t do any more; one of those is Halloween anything at all, per the kids’ choice starting last year. They don’t even want to participate in fall festivals at churches, and it’s their own conviction through knowledge driving this decision. Our God is an awesome God! Of course there are Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays approaching, and we ready ourselves for those in the fall. There are foods we eat more of in the fall.
But, I wanted to make this post because, as busy as my family and I all stay, this is a truly busier than usual season for us. I think the Lord is helping us to really fit it all in and develop in us better time management. I think it is also a culmination and coming to breaking point in the rough season we’ve lived for the past couple of years. I’m thankful for that break-through that I know is coming! It’s a busy season though, and a busy fall, and we’re still plugging along and figuring things out. The Lord has called me both to be home and to contribute to our finances, and I know that if He takes us to it that He is faithful to carry us through it.
In all seasons, praising and worshiping and honoring Him; to God be the glory!